The Buckley's Reno Realities is a blog dedicated to documenting my husband, Lance, and I's adventures as we take on the challenge of turning our new home into our dream home using our own four hands. We hope you enjoy our journey, marvel at some of our masterpieces, laugh with us at our failures, and give us suggestions along the way!

Monday, June 10, 2013

And So It Begins...

Thursday, June 6th, 2013
 
As soon as 6 pm came around on Thursday and we were off work, Lance and I raced to get an over night bag packed and get out to the house!  Neither of us could stop smiling the whole drive out there and it felt great to get to unlock the door to our new home for the first time!  The dogs were even more excited, seeing as how they had not been to the house at all yet.  We let them inside and they were off - sniffing every inch, crevice, and corner of the whole house.  I'm not sure if they were just feeding off Lance and I's excitement or if they knew this was home - but the looks on their faces were adorable!  My personal favorite part was watching them explore their new back yard - pool and all!  That's right, our new home has a gorgeous, ginormous pool in the back yard!
 
 
 
 

 
After we let the dogs have their fun swimming, Lance and I got right to work!  For those that don't know me well, I'm a bit Type-A in the cleaniness department, so the first thing we did was change the toilet seats!
 


 
 My next project was to start removing the wonderful popcorn ceiling that is in the house (oh how wonderful the style in the 80's was!).  I read numerous blogs that gave step-by-step directions on how to remove it, so I felt pretty good about being able to do it myself!
After about 20 minutes of working in a 1 sq.ft. area, I realized the blogs were not 100% correct.  It was HARD work, and not something I'd be able to do throughout the entire house without it taking months.
 
So I humbly decided this was going to be my first "failure" DIY project.  We'll be hiring professionals to take over and complete this job in a few years!
 
We decided to call it a night after this and get some good sleep before work the next day.
 
 
Below are all of the before pictures of the downstairs of the house!
 
 
This is the front door, stairs, and the entry way when you walk in the front door
           
                  (Living Room)                                                                   (Dining Room) 

 


When you walk in there is a living room to the left that is open to the dining room
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The dining room then leads into the big kitchen that includes a breakfast nook area with a gorgeous stainglass light fixture.






Sharing a wall with the kitchen is the large family room that has a gorgeous floor to ceiling red brick fire place.  The three big windows face the back yard so during the day we get great light that bounces off the pool water into the house.


 
 



More pictures to come of the master and upstairs areas!

1 comment:

  1. Oh so pretty! The girls look happy in their new pool! I love the Type-A comment, I can truly attest to that...no resting when you're working with Rachel- a job is not over until it's finished! Great job to both of you on all the hard work you're putting into this place! Y'all are so adorable together!

    ReplyDelete